Sunday, March 13, 2011

Banana bread



When overripe bananas overflow the fruit bowl, it’s time to make banana bread.
While the texture and taste of fresh overripe bananas are preferable for banana bread, it’s perfectly fine to freeze bananas and thaw them for baking at a later time.
It’s possible to make any recipe healthier by maximizing the use of more nutritious ingredients and holding back those that are less beneficial, and this recipe holds true to that philosophy: It’s heavy on the mashed banana, and a little lighter on the butter.
I also use a few ‘secret’ ingredients, simple things that give this banana bread a unique taste:
1. A good strong dose of black coffee
2. Ground cloves
3. Callebaut semi-sweet chocolate.
The cloves add a spicy contrast that wake up the taste buds; it reminds me of the chili & chocolate combination. And frankly, everything’s better with coffee or Calllebaut chocolate. 

2 comments:

  1. Yummm..once again, I'm drooling! I love the new look for the blog! I never think of adding coffee to baking because I don't drink it but you're right in saying that it makes things taste better. Especially when you mix it with chocolate. I have some very ripe bananas just waiting to be used. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Tegan. Coffee is maybe not always the drink of choice, but it sure adds a new dimension to baking. I also find it to be a welcome addition in chocolate cakes and brownies alike. Best of luck with your banana bread :)

    ReplyDelete